Sign up for 3MT® begins September 1st, 2017.
Online entry will open at 12:01 a.m. on September 1st, 2017 and be available until 11:59 p.m. November 4th, 2017. *Deadline extended until November 10, 2017.
Competition will be held November 14 and 15. Finals held on November 16.
Whether you're trying to raise capital, cold call or network, it's essential to have an elevator pitch, especially when describing your research. 3MT® is a competition that helps graduate students develop their verbal communication skills and helps all people understand the importance of research and how it positively affects our lives.
Students, you have 3 minutes to content, clarity, and cash. Ready, set, go…
What is 3MT®?
3MT® is a competition that challenges graduate students to present a compelling verbal presentation of their thesis /dissertation topic and its significance in just three minutes. 3MT® develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development of graduate students' capacity to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to a public audience.
3MT® is not an exercise in trivializing or ‘dumbing-down' research but forces students to consolidate their ideas and crystalize their research discoveries.
Students compete by presenting their thesis/dissertation topic in three minutes or less. Competitions are judged by a panel comprised of a diverse group of professionals (academic and non-academic) with a wide range of expertise. The program is the fourth annual event at Mississippi State University in Fall 2017.
Why participate in 3MT®?
By competing in the 3MT® competition at Mississippi State University, graduate students have the opportunity to sharpen their communication skills, promote their field of research to the campus and the general public, and help all people understand the importance of research and how it positively impacts their lives. Winners will be provided cash prizes including:
- Grand Champion: $1,000
- Grand Champion Runner Up: $750
- People's Choice Award: $500
- Each of the Eight Category Winners : $250
What are the rules of 3MT®?
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutesare disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (eg. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
- Presenters must designate which one of the eight categories they are competing. The categories include a Masters student level and a Doctoral student level in each of the following:
- Arts and Humanities
- Life and Biomedical Sciences and Engineering
- Physical, Mathematical, Computational Sciences and Engineering
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
Who started 3MT®?
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) http://www.uq.edu.au/grad-school/three-minute-thesis is an academic competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia http://www.uq.edu.au/ for research students.
When and where do I compete?
The 2017 3MT® competition at Mississippi State University will be held in Fowlkes Auditorium in the Colvard Union beginning November 14th through November 16th. A more detailed schedule coming soon.
How do I get started now?
Start planning and practicing your 3MT® now! You can register for the competition online beginning September 1st, 2017.