Whether you're trying to raise capital, cold call or network, it's essential to have an elevator pitch, especially when describing your research. 3MT® is a competition that helps graduate students develop their verbal communication skills and helps all people understand the importance of research and how it positively affects our lives.
Students, you have 3 minutes to content, clarity, and cash. Ready, set, go…
Join us November 15th and 16th for the 2023 Three Minute Thesis Competition at Fowlkes Auditorium in the Union!
November 15th - Morning round will be held from 10:00 AM to 12 noon, afternoon rounds will be held 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
Morning Session Schedule
Join virtually here: https://msstate.webex.com/msstate/j.php?MTID=ma7c2802135aa49e3300fe3c78104dfef
Afternoon Session Schedule
Join virtually here: https://msstate.webex.com/msstate/j.php?MTID=med32f6a0844116e7c463fba07fc3b7db
November 16th - 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM
Final Session Schedule
Join virtually here: https://msstate.webex.com/msstate/j.php?MTID=mcb7ba6b47f6c2bbec5e3fd82a…;
What is 3MT®?
3MT® is a competition that challenges graduate students to present a compelling verbal presentation of their thesis /dissertation topic and its significance in just three minutes. 3MT® develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development of graduate students' capacity to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to a public audience.
3MT® is not an exercise in trivializing or ‘dumbing-down' research but forces students to consolidate their ideas and crystalize their research discoveries.
Students compete by presenting their thesis/dissertation topic in three minutes or less. Competitions are judged by a panel comprised of a diverse group of professionals (academic and non-academic) with a wide range of expertise. The program is the eleventh annual event at Mississippi State University in Fall 2023.
Why participate in 3MT®?
By competing in the 3MT® competition at Mississippi State University, graduate students have the opportunity to sharpen their communication skills, promote their field of research to the campus and the general public, and help all people understand the importance of research and how it positively impacts their lives. Winners will be provided cash prizes including:
- Grand Champion: $750
- Grand Champion Runner Up: $500
- People's Choice Award: $300
- Remaining Finalists: $200
The 2023 3MT Grand Champion will represent Mississippi State University at the Regional 3MT competition at the Conference of Southern Graduate Schools in Greenville, SC from March 13 - 15, 2024.
Registration is open October 2nd through October 31st.
What are the rules of 3MT®?
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration). Wide format (16:9).
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
Who started 3MT®?
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia for research students. For more information and resources, please visit https://threeminutethesis.uq.edu.au/home.
When and Where do I Compete?
The 2023 3MT® competition at Mississippi State University will be held in Fowlkes Auditorium in the Colvard Union on November 15th with a morning and afternoon session and the final round will take place November 16th morning.
A more detailed schedule will be posted after the registration period is over.
What resources can I take advantage of?
A 3MT Competitor Guide is available on the University of Queensland's website and provides information and tips on the 3MT Slide, presentation and more.
Additionally, the MSU Library has reserved time for practice sessions in the Giles classroom on November 9 and 10. Please register for a time at the links below.
Nov. 9 - https://msstate.libcal.com/calendar/events/3M-LT
Nov. 10 - https://msstate.libcal.com/calendar/events/3M-LTb
- All Master’s and PhD students at MSU in all programs are invited
- Benefits-eligible employee are not eligible to compete
For questions, please contact Lilli Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.