Whether you're trying to raise capital, cold call or network, it's essential to have an elevator pitch, especially when describing your research. 3MT® is a competition that helps graduate students develop their verbal communication skills and helps all people understand the importance of research and how it positively affects our lives.
Students, you have 3 minutes to content, clarity, and cash. Ready, set, go…
Join us November 17th and 18th for the 2021 Three Minute Thesis Competition! More information can be found below.
We hope you can join us November 18th in the Fowlkes Auditorium to hear the presentations of the eight finalists and vote for your People's Choice Award.
What is 3MT®?
3MT® is a competition that challenges graduate students to present a compelling verbal presentation of their thesis /dissertation topic and its significance in just three minutes. 3MT® develops academic, presentation, and research communication skills and supports the development of graduate students' capacity to effectively explain their research in language appropriate to a public audience.
3MT® is not an exercise in trivializing or ‘dumbing-down' research but forces students to consolidate their ideas and crystalize their research discoveries.
Students compete by presenting their thesis/dissertation topic in three minutes or less. Competitions are judged by a panel comprised of a diverse group of professionals (academic and non-academic) with a wide range of expertise. The program is the eighth annual event at Mississippi State University in Fall 2021.
Why participate in 3MT®?
By competing in the 3MT® competition at Mississippi State University, graduate students have the opportunity to sharpen their communication skills, promote their field of research to the campus and the general public, and help all people understand the importance of research and how it positively impacts their lives. Winners will be provided cash prizes including:
- Grand Champion: $1,000
- Grand Champion Runner Up: $750
- People's Choice Award: $500
- Remaining Finalists: $250
What are the rules of 3MT®?
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration).
- No additional electronic media (e.g., sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g., costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g., no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
Who started 3MT®?
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) is an academic competition developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), Australia for research students. For more information and resources, please visit https://threeminutethesis.uq.edu.au/home.
When and Where do I Compete?
The 2021 3MT® competition at Mississippi State University will be held in Fowlkes Auditorium in the Colvard Union on November 17th with a morning and afternoon session and the final round will take place November 18th morning. A more detailed schedule coming soon.
How do I Get Started Today?
Register for the 2021 3MT at MSU here.
Registration opens October 4th, and the deadline is October 29th, 2021 at 11:59 PM.
Start planning and practicing your 3MT® now!
What resources can I take advantage of?
The Library AV studio is available to you to record your presentation for practice purposes. Please visit http://lib.msstate.edu/dmc/av-studio/ to learn more or make a studio reservation.